Wednesday 18 November 2009

Albums of 2009: #20 The Twilight Sad - Forget The Night Away

How much I liked this album surprised me. Usually these type of over-thought, pretentious, deliberately challenging records put me right off, but over time this one drew me in. I doubt it would've got a second listen had I not been reviewing it, but multiple listens proved me wrong.

Yes, it's a dense piece of work and yes, it's not an easy listen. I wouldn't even go as far as to say I enjoy it. But it has a majestic beauty, a softness to its tone that only comes out after a certain amount of time has been invested in it. And it's so accomplished, there's so much talent in the band and an unbelievable amount of effort must have gone in to the record.

I normally make my mind up about albums quite quickly, but this one proved me wrong, and for that reason alone deserves to go in my top 20.

Read my original review at The Music Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to argue? Do it here (You're almost certainly wrong, by the way...).